With its eclectic mix of old world charm and international aspirations, Malta is an attractive alternative to those who have grown tired of big-city life.

In transposing the provisions of the European Union Council Directive 2004/38 of the European Parliament and the Council of 29th April 2004 Maltese legislation has provided for the implementation and administration of EU and EEA nationals’ rights to exercise their right to free movement.

This means that EU/EEA nationals as well as Swiss Nationals enjoy the right to free movement and work in the EU/EEA territory and Switzerland; this right also extends to their family members, including those who are not nationals of either of the aforementioned territories, so that either of these individuals can: 

  • accept offers of work and seek employment in Malta; 
  • work (whether an employee or self-employed); &
  • set up a business.

It is important to note that while EU/EEA/Swiss nationals have the right to reside and work in Malta, they are still required to regularise their presence in Malta. If they will be basing their residency on employment such nationals are also obliged to register their employment status with Jobplus.

Having extensive experience assisting and advising EU/EEA/Swiss nationals in  relocating to Malta, Oathbound Consultancy is here to ensure that you settle into your new life with complete peace of mind.

Frequently Asked questions

Can I live in Malta ?

As a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) you do have the right to reside in Malta when exercising their Treaty Rights as either a worker or self-employed person.

There is nothing stopping you from coming over and working here or from starting your new job with a Maltese employer.

So long as you have a valid travel document you can come to Malta and set yourself up as needed to apply for your Maltese residence permit.

Any non-Maltese national who is not paying Social Security Contributions (National Insurance) must have comprehensive health insurance or a certificate of Entitlement issued by the Entitlement Unit.



Can my family live with me in Malta ?

Yes your family members have the right to join and accompany you in Malta.

This extends to your:

  • spouse;
  • children who are under 21 years of age or who are dependent on you;
  • dependent parents or grandparents.

In the case of partners, they must show documentary evidence that they have been in a durable relationship for at least two (2) years.

The above applies to both EU and non-EU family members. Just be sure to regularise their stay by applying a Maltese residence permit for each family member.

Any family member will need to be in possession of comprehensive health insurance or certificate of Entitlement issued by the Entitlement Unit


Can I start my own business in Malta ?

You are able to work as a sole trader and are also able set up a private company.

The infrastructure you need is readily available and progressive Governments have closely monitored the labor market to ensure that the appropriate human resources are available to entrepreneurs.

Malta also offers various incentives for the promotion and expansion of industry and the development of innovative enterprises. So depending on what you have in mind we can help you get all the available assistance. 

It’s important to note that you will be required to apply for a tax identification number from the Inland Revenue Department, a Social Security number from the Social Security Department, a possibly a VAT number.

Self-employed persons also need to submit a Declaration of Commencement of Employment to Jobsplus.

Do I need a property in Malta ?

In order for any person to be able to apply for a Maltese residence permit they will need a residential address.

While the immigration authorities would typically expect you to provide a lease agreement or title of ownership of a residential property, it is also possible to make arrangements to reside in guest house, in which case you would need to secure a declaration from the keeper of the premises confirming the arrangement.

Malta offers a good selection of immovable property but you may be surprised by the difference in price/cost between one location an another.

We are here to help you you find the ideal property , whether it be by way of lease or outright ownership and are experienced in advising clients throughout the processes involved. 

Click here for the for further information on how we can help you secure a property in Malta.

What taxes will I need to pay in Malta ?

While the personal income tax rates currently being applied may be found here, it is important to note that the extent to which these are levied depends on and individual’s domicile and residence status.

Can I employ people in Malta ?

Whether you will be setting up a company or acting as an individual, in order to legally employ anyone you will need to first register as an employer by applying for a PE (Permission to Employ) number.

It is possible to employ both EU and non-EU nationals, but best keep in mind that at present, with the exception of citizens from the EEA/Switzerland and their family members, all foreign nationals require authorisation to work in Malta, meaning that they will need to apply for an employment license.

Maltese employment is robustly regulated and ensures fair and equal treatment for any person so be sure that any agreement entered into with an employ satisfies all legal requirements whether it be for a fixed term or and indefinite period.

Upon commencement of employment be sure to register the arrangement with Jobsplus.